Baile Átha Cliath


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

DCU Life

As for the rest of what I've been up to, it has mostly involved sticking around campus. We are a rather disappointing 30 minute bus ride from the city, so during the week I'll stay at DCU, at least while it's still cold. For the most part, the terrifying ice weather we were forewarned about has been more lamb than lion. We've seen some pretty beautiful sunny days compared to what we're accustomed to in Boston. As if we don't stick out enough as Americans, we also wear very light clothing compared to the students here because even the chilly days feel like springtime. It hasn't even rained too much. I guess I bring good weather!

I'm taking The History of Ireland with Caroline (we are told to call them by their first name here, it is so foreign to me!) who is one of my favorite people here so far. I'm also studying contemporary Irish culture with Frank and the Arts in Ireland with Padhraic. In Art, to my utmost delight I learned that I would be taught to play the bodhrán and the tin whistle, my two favorite instruments on earth. I had my first lesson last night-- the former is MUCH easier to pick up than the second, which takes years to master. I told him I was an Irish dancer, and he assured me I would have great rhythm to pick up the bodhrán. By the end of the seven weeks, he said we'd all be good enough to partake in a pub session. Let's hope! I've wanted to do that my whole life.

The other classes are definitely interesting, but require a lot of reading. The greatest thing I've learned so far was actually the first day of orientation, when a woman came in and taught us basic Gaelic for an hour. I am hopelessly addicted. Combine my enthusiasm for linguistics with my obsession with Ireland and you have Gaelic. I want to learn more, so I'll have to ask around on campus for where I can do that. So far, my favorite is Baile Athá Cliath (The th sound is pronounced like an H), which is the Gaelic name for Dublin. The words light up the entrance of Henry Street in town, and I was dying to find out what they meant. Even if I am unable to become fluent in the language at any point in my life, I at least want to be proficient at reading and pronouncing it. Example: when I take visual arts after spring break, my professors name is Caoimhghin. It looks like a sneeze. In fact, it is pronounced something like "Queevin" and is Gaelic for Kevin. I love how little sense that makes.

Now, it's off to practice my bodhrán!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure your Father can help you with your Gaelic (including the spelling)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blog is already bigger than Daniel's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those comments from John O'Hara!!!!!

    ReplyDelete